Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Going Home


We got to go home on Oct 1, 2008. Madelyn was now 35 days old. I had left our little house on Aug 27th and had not been back since. I was yerning to see my livingroom curtins that I sewed the day before I left for Winnipeg. (I needed to keep my mind busy.) When I left I remember praying that God would allow me the privilage to take a baby home. On days when I thought we would never leave the hospital, I would imagine Carl and I leaving the hospital with a baby in the backseat. Now it was going to happen!


After cleaning our room at the RMDH, Carl went to get the car. I signed the discharge papers. It was an odd feeling to walk out of the ward with Madelyn in a carrier. The ride down the elevator, I kept looking to see if she was still breathing. But she was fast asleep.


I came out of the front door of the Children's hospital and Carl had parked right in front. He helped me put the car seat in place and I got in back for the hour ride home. As Carl pulled away, I started to cry. Well, weeped, would better discribe it. I had this feeling of great relief. Madelyn had survived! I was taking home this presious bundle that God had given us. Now I had this intense feeling of responsibility. God expected us to care for a baby that was well enough to take home, but still was very sick. We would have to make sure she was eating enough, gaining weight, and watch for any side effects of CDH. (Reherniating, deafness, sortness of breath, laboured breathing, pectus, scoliosis, etc.)


Carl fought the rush hour traffic and we got home at 6:30pm. My mom had made us supper and it was waiting on the stove. My sister-in-law got all the little baby things out and ready to use. And my dad set up the crib. It was amazing, our house was now ready for a baby. I had feared the worst and refused to buy baby furniture and clothing. I had only a few things that would be used in the hospital, a "going home" outfit and blankets.


Just being at home was a relief. I was now running down the hall to see how Madelyn was doing in the middle of the night, but I was at home. I have no words to discribe the feeling of being a first time mom at home with at baby. It is a mixture of joy, and anxiety in one.


God had been good to us. He had answered our prayers, and the hundreds of prayers of so many others. I was so thankful. My heart was full and we felt very blessed!

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing. Thanks for sharing your story. At the time I had no idea what you were all going through. God bless.

    ReplyDelete